Friday, July 23, 2010

Songs About New York City Without the Words "New York" in the Title

My favorite place is where I was born, not a lot of people can say that. And the place I was born just happens to be the greatest city in the world. Now, there is no reason to write a love song to New York City because it has already been done in volumes, by writers considerably better than myself, and I say that with no false humility because I already know I’m great. So I got it in me one day that I would make a list of said songs, but the phrase “New York” could not be in the song’s title. New York State of Mind by Billy Joel doesn’t make this list for obvious reasons, but it certainly does remind me of my hometown. Neither does the unofficial State song New York, New York by Frank Sinatra (That’s Mr. Sinatra to you peons, only I can call him Uncle Frank). I still think that even with this prerequisite, I can still find many great songs that give praise to my city, and I did. Feel free to add your own if you like, but here they are, in no particular order…


Me and Julio Down By The Schoolyard / Paul Simon – This song could be the National Anthem for Queens (If it were a country of course). I can’t say I’m a huge fan of story songs, but this story takes a back seat to the beat, rhythm and spirit of the place where this song was born, the 108th street border between Corona and Forest Hills. If you don’t get that reference, then you aren’t from New York no matter what corporation transferred you here.

Walk on The Wild Side / Lou Reed – He is originally from Long Island, but if New York City had a house band, he would be the lead singer and songwriter. I could have easily chosen any one of Reed’s classics for this list; “Dirty Blvd.” or “Coney Island Baby” come to mind. But that haunting sax solo on “Wild Side” is Bowery and Bleecker.

City of Blinding Lights / U2Someone said the song reminded them of Paris, I told them to go fuck themselves and reminded them that those snail eating cowards would be speaking German if not for the US. Even Bono has repeated that the band seems to step their game up when they play in New York, and they are not alone. The Police, Bruce Springsteen and so many other bands have admitted that there is a certain energy in a New York audience that is lacking elsewhere. There is no way this song can be about any other city.

Manhattan / Kings of Leon – How a band from Tennessee can bring New York to life in a song is amazing. Remember the rules say you can’t have the word “New York” in the title, they say nothing about the boroughs.

Shattered / The Rolling Stones – The broke, crime-ridden, dirty, strung out version of New York City in the late 70’s “personified,” for lack of a better word, in a song.

Apartment Story / The National – This is really a song about staying home, but it’s still about staying home in New York City.

The Message / Grand Master Flash & The Furious Five – What “Shattered” did for New York City in the 70’s this song did for the city in 1980’s. There is no real glimmer of hope here, just the harsh reality forced upon minorities and the poor during the Reagan era.

Downtown Train / Tom Waits – One of the best American songwriters ever decided to write about a girl on a train. Simply beautiful. Some people just have it, and some should just give up. After hearing this song you realize how most of those currently spouting the latest irrelevant pop drivel should just give up.

Empire State of Mind / Jay Z & Alicia Keys – Ok so this is a bit of an obvious choice, which is exactly what I was looking to avoid, but I can’t ignore the fact that this song just takes me to the places he is talking about, and it does it without being too gratuitous. That’s enough for me.

New Frontier / Donald Fagen – In an epoch before this song’s time, there was a lovely pre war with a balcony overlooking the skyline and Central Park. There was a smoke and bourbon filled living room where a group of people were listening to Charles Mingus as they decided what club they would visit that night. Donald Fagen must have been a dry-eyed fly on the wall that night.

4 comments:

  1. One of these days I'm going to have my picture taken w/my old buddy Julio, right by the schoolyard we used to hang out...in Corona. Yeah...

    If I'm not mistaken, "City of Blinding Lights" is about Paris. U2 did write a song about our fair city, tho: it's called, um, "New York".

    Don't dig the Jay-Z/Alicia Keys tune. And that lyric about him making "the Yankee hat more famous than a Yankee can" is ludicrous to say the least. How the Yankees invited them to perform it at The Stadium, during the WS no less, will always baffle me.

    Maybe Fagen was a...night fly? Great song; always loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have thought that a music geek such as yourself would have contributed some additional tracks to this list. I'm slightly disappointed I must admit.

    "New York" is one of my favorite tracks from "All That You Can't Leave Behind" a collection I thought was a bit overrated. Incidentally, they performed that song on Letterman weeks after September 11th, it was quite surreal to watch.

    I hate that line from the Jay-Z track as you do, but I just can't deny the song does represent this city.

    When I buy my Condo in the City overlooking the park, "New Frontier" will be the first song I play as I sip a glass of wine from my balcony.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well played; I have taken the bait, my friend. However, my list is one of songs about and inspired by NYC—no, this is not some Hollywood bullshit—as well as tunes that evoke what the city is all about. (I, btw, have no plans to leave the BKNY, even if I hit the lottery.)

    Off the top of my head, here they are, in alphabetical order by artist:

    Beastie Boys - "So Whatcha Want?"
    Yeah, they can be insufferable at times—not to mention they are the patron saints of hipsters—but I have yet to go or host a party where this song does not make a welcome appearance at some point.

    Freeloader - "6 Train"
    My buddy Scott Sinclair is a charismatic, literate, good ole boy and ladies man; he’s also a talented songwriter/guitarist who wrote this beautiful ode to his adoptive hometown.

    Joe Jackson - "Right and Wrong"
    A cool tune written during his years as a NYer. Bonus point for mentioning NY baseball.

    Billy Joel - "Big Shot"
    Love him, loathe him or ridicule him, Joel’s done for NYC what Springsteen did for Jersey. He's also written a couple of cool tunes about life in the city. This is one of ‘em. It rocks, too.

    Marcy Playground - "Sex and Candy"
    Always reminds me of the Lower East Side during the ‘90s and one of the few rock songs that oozed carnality during the so-called grunge years.

    Nada Surf - "Blizzard of '77"
    Brooklyn band reminisces about a quintessential NY occurrence. Sweet.

    NaS - "Memory Lane (Sittin in Da Park)"
    Queens in da house! Love this one…

    Lou Reed - "Dirty Blvd."
    The man who, in his songs, captured the dark side of the city like no other. From the album titled—what else?—New York.

    Talking Heads - "Mr. Jones"
    A taste of the city’s Latin vibe courtesy of this quintessential NY band. Also, my unofficial theme song. heh heh.

    Suzanne Vega - "In the Eye"
    Before I moved to Brooklyn in the mid ‘90s Manhattan ruled my world. This song has always sounded to me like late ‘80s, downtown Manhattan at night, particularly that air of possibility and of, hopefully, good things to come.

    Bonus:
    Ryan Adams - "New York, New York"
    Because he was cocky enough to title it like the Sinatra classic; because it’s a sweet song that will always remind me of the immediate post-Sept. 11th days. But above of all because of a refrain which comes across as one of the most poignant declarations of love ever dedicated to this city I’ve ever heard. “I still love you New York.” Yeah…

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent selections

    ReplyDelete