Thursday, January 14, 2010

The JB Random Report 1/14/10

NEWS & CURRENT EVENTS

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has had better weeks hasn’t he? A new poll this week said most Nevadans viewed him unfavorably and would elect any of his potential Republican opponents. As if that weren't enough, I wonder what made him think that referring to then candidate Barack Obama, even in private, as a "light-skinned" black with no "Negro dialect," would somehow be kept a secret. Look, for the record Reid did like Obama and did think he would be a great candidate. He has also been very supportive of the President’s agenda and I certainly don’t believe he is a racist, but dude, what were you thinking? And now the GOP, the party of Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms, the party that would read the phone book on the Senate floor to filibuster votes on racial equality has the nerve to call for Reid to step down…seriously, Fuck you!

And it’s a good thing these retards didn’t stop there. Our hearts are with all the victims of the earthquake in Haiti this week, unless you are a Republican yahoo. You know, I tell my friends to stop listening to these brain tumors because it makes them angry and clouds their judgment. My judgment is clear, but I really do need to start listening to my own advice. Let’s start with a man who really should change his adult diapers more often, because he is obviously over hydrating the ass he thinks with. Pat Robertson said about Haiti, and I quote, “They were under the heel of the French ... and they got together and swore a pact with the devil. They said, 'We will serve you if you'll get us free from the French.' " Really? So who did George Washington make a pact with during the American Revolution? And then of course, Rush Limbaugh never fails. Saying that Barack Obama’s swift response to the tradgedy was an effort to “burnish [his], shall we say, credibility with the black community, in the ... the both light-skinned and dark-skinned black community in this country. It's made to order for them." Rush, I know that you are not used to an administration actually responding swifty and competently to a natural disaster, but that’s no reason to say something so stupid. I’m sure Obama will apologize for not giving us a Katrina-style response like GW Bush did just so you can feel better about having supported a president with Down syndrome for 8 years. Wait a minute, since when does he need a reason to say something stupid?

AMERICAN IDOL & ENTERTAINMENT

This may just be my last year of watching Idol now that Simon Cowell has announced that he will be leaving the show after this season. Seriously who can they get to replace him?

Why does this country keep celebrating Elvis Presley? Not that he didn’t have a great voice that did change music, but come on…Moviefone had a list of “10 Greatest Elvis Presley Movies.” Great Elvis Presley movies? What the fuck? If you had to sit through those horrid messes to actually find 10 good ones you have my sympathy, and some mild to severe form of mental retardation. Anyone that thinks they can find 10 good Elvis movies probably dresses like him and lives in Vegas. I don’t care that he would have been 75 this week, let it go. Why is it that people still have such a hard time believing that Elvis is dead? Yeah I guess it’s impossible to believe that someone who took such good care of himself could just drop dead in his toilet. I mean it’s not like he didn’t have a steady diet of fruit (fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches) and multi-vitamins (every drug you could mention).

SPORTS

HOW ‘BOUT THEM COWBOYS!!!! What a great game for so many reasons. So many monkeys have finally rested off the backs of Tony Romo, and Wade Phillips. I thought Romo played very well and managed a steady, balanced offense. But it was an all out effort by the whole team on both sides of the ball. The last time these guys looked like champions was 1996, and if they play both ends of the ball like this, they might win it all.

And it looks like USC’s Pete Carroll is taking off for the NFL. After the season USC had, I would’ve bolted too. Not that the team didn’t play well, but there is that Joe McKnight driving an SUV that wasn’t his, Reggie Bush rules violations investigations which might lead to sanctions against the football program. Not to mention his strained relationship with his athletic director, then there’s that whole “Head football coach banging a graduate student in Malibu” thing (NEVER proven, by the way)…In the words of Keith Richards, he’s “gonna walk before they make him run.”

THIS WEEK’S REASON WHY TERRORISTS WANNA KILL US

I don’t know if this is even the section where this story belongs, but it does make me angry enough…Mark McGwire deserves no sympathy. After 12 years…12 years of speculation, and numerous opportunities, even one before Congress, to come clean, McGwire finally decided to admit that he used steroids. Great, that’s like Courtney Love finally admitting that she might have a substance abuse problem. McGwire crying and saying that he didn’t answer questions before Congress because he was not granted immunity, and that anyone in his place would have done the same thing, is an insult to anyone with an even mild interest and knowledge of the law; Immunity from what crime exactly? No one testifying before Congress in 2005 was under any criminal investigation, how many years did it take him to realize that? Look, like Pete Rose before him, McGwire is making this joke of a “confession” for his own self interest, and I’m afraid it’s way too little way too late. He is the Cardinals new hitting coach, St Louis is a baseball town, and the media, whether he likes it or not, was going to hound him until he came clean and he didn’t wanna deal with that distraction for an entire season. Don’t believe this guy was trying to be forthcoming about anything.

9 comments:

  1. If I'm not mistaken, I heard someone say there were, at the time of the hearings, two related criminal investigations which a confession from McG would've left him open to prosecution. Hence, the request for immunity.

    In the end, he and all the others PED users have to answer for doing something which, at the time, was not banned or carried formal punishment. A moral infraction, as it were, which we can agree is not to be condoned. But I'm really sick and tired of the feigned outrage. Especially from the supposed watchdogs who screwed up royally--I don't expect agents to give up their clients, but where were MLB, MLBPA and the writers who pride themselves on having the kind of access they build their reps on?--who have not paid a price for their role. Which, in all likelihood, they never will. They just get to undeservingly take the moral highground. A disgusting mess all around is what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are mistaken...DISTRIBUTION was the crime, USE is not. NONE of those ballplayers was under criminal investigation at that or any other time. Lest we forget even Barry Bonds' criminal trial is for tax evasion. McGwire could have pleaded the 5th, but was too cowardly to use that phrase in front of Congress. Rafael Palmeiro even LIED to Congress and has yet to be charged with perjury or anything. It was a weak argument.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How am I mistaken? I was not the one who stated there were 2 related criminal investigations at the time, just repeating something I thought I'd heard, which, as it turns out, is not only factual but you are confirming. As for McG being open to prosecution, this he was allegedly advised by his attorneys.

    I was hoping you'd address MY actual statement, regarding steroid usage not being banned at the time, and the crocodile tears, hypocrisy and dubious morality of all the non-players implicated in this mess who will never face the same scrutiny as McG, A-Rod, etc. yet get to point fingers with impunity. (You can add fans to the crocodile tears bunch.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. (And yes, I know McG's and A-Rod's circumstances are different; I was referring to their having facing the music, not their respective circumstances.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "If I'm not mistaken, I heard someone say there were, at the time of the hearings, two related criminal investigations which a confession from McG would've left him open to prosecution."

    That's what I was addressing, that was your statment. I was confirming the first sentence.

    As far as usage not being banned at the time, I have been addressing that for 3 years now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, I was mistaken. In other words, I didn't hear someone say there were two related criminal investigations going on. [shakes head]

    I never brought up WHAT the investigations were about, just that they were allegedly being conducted at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ballplayers were not being investigated for any crimes in regards to steroids at any time. If you were so sure then why ask whether or not you were mistaken?

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, this is going 'round in circles...I clearly stated I thought I'd heard about investigations. Your response was that I was wrong, that I did not hear about the investigations and then proceeded to tell me what the investigations were about.

    I'm obviously not a lawyer, but I would not be surprised if McG's attorneys advised him that being a user and not a distributor of PEDs would not keep him in the clear in terms of prosecution. Maybe McG himself believed that to be the case. Or not. Who knows? I surely don't.

    In any event, this McG revelation sure died down in the media a lot quicker than in A-Rod's scandal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For the second time, your quote was, "criminal investigations which a confession from McG would've left him open to prosecution." Once again he was never subject to that. I don't know how much clearer I can make it. "If I'm not mistaken" was a reference to your hearing or to the investigations? Cuz I can't help you with your hearing.

    ReplyDelete