Wednesday, December 10, 2008

My All-Time Favorite Christmas Songs

So many Christmas wishes have been fulfilled this year that I thought it only appropriate that I get myself in the spirit of things early. The 3 major US auto companies are going to get bailed out by the taxpayers as a reward for selling them a sub-standard product for decades (you're welcome, assholes!). Governor of Illinois Rod Blagojevich is getting an indictment under his tree for attempting to sell Barack Obama’s vacant Senate seat while the FBI was listening on a wiretap (congratulations shithead). The Mets got an amazing closer to go with their new ballpark this season in Felix Rodriguez. And of course, never to be outdone by that other team in New York, the greatest franchise in baseball has nabbed the greatest free agent of the season. CC Sabathia has come to his senses and signed with the Yankees. Santa has been good to Brian Cashman too, I see. I have a few things I want also, but I have yet to see them under my tree. That’s not to say that I’m not well within the spirit of things, I actually am, and more than I have been in years I must say. So in keeping with my Holiday spirit, I have now written yet another one of my famous lists.
As much as a good Christmas song can bring back wonderful childhood memories and immediately transport you to a simpler, happier time, a bad Christmas song (The Beach Boys, Beyonce, Mariah Carey) can make you wanna go on a three state killing spree. In hoping to avoid the latter, I have listed my all-time favorite Christmas songs, enjoy them as I have for so many great seasons. So here they are, in order this time…

MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE CHRISTMAS SONGS

Run Rudolph Run (1958)-Chuck Berry. If I properly researched this, I might find that this was probably the first Rock n Roll Christmas song. With Berry’s signature guitar keeping a story about Rudolph company, you would never think it would work, but it does.

Wonderful Christmastime (1979) - Paul McCartney. This song isn’t just cheesy, it is cheese. But I really like it. Remember, the list is my favorite Christmas songs, not the best Christmas songs.

Santa Claus Go Straight to the Ghetto (1968) - James Brown. Only the Godfather of Soul can tell Santa where to go. Telling him “you will see mothers and Soul brothers,” just in case he forgets where he is.

Happy Xmas (War Is Over) (1971) - John Lennon. It was during his “advertising campaign for peace” that he wrote this song and even put up a few billboards around New York City. A bit naïve maybe, but in a good way.

All Alone on Christmas (1992) - Darlene Love. Yes it’s from a lame Home Alone movie, but what a great voice to go with a great message - nobody oughtta be, alone on Christmas.

Do They Know it’s Christmas (1984) - Band Aid. Another cheesy song, but I like it. And I like a lot of the people that were on it like U2, Sting, Peter Weller and Freddy Mercury just to name a few.

Christmas Time is Here (1965) - Vince Guaraldi Trio. Mena can attest to this. If you worked at Tower Records at Christmas, you know “A Charlie Brown Christmas” completely. They had been known to play it a few times during the holidays. The first time I hear the opening piano to that song, I know it’s Christmas.

Christmas in Hollis (1987) - Run DMC. Run DMC can claim so many firsts when it comes to Hip-Hop. And this is the first accessible Christmas rap song. Sure Beat Street had one in 1984, but this one is better and doesn’t talk about spending your welfare money playing numbers.

The Christmas Song (1963) - Nat King Cole. This one means so much to me personally for so many reasons. But let’s just say that the haunting vocals by one of the greatest American singers ever make it special as well.

Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) (1987) - U2. The original was done by musical genius turned trigger-happy maniac Phil Spector, vocals by the great Darlene Love. But since I grew up on U2 I kinda like this version better. Don’t worry, Darlene Love does the background vocals on this one, so I can be forgiven.


Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment