Thursday, September 16, 2010

Bringing The Crazy This Fall 9/16/10

Did you ever smoke so much weed that you got a contact high from your next morning’s pee?

NEWS & CURRENT EVENTS

The mid-term primaries brought a lot of surprises, particularly for the Republican Party. Much as they were hijacked by the religious right in the 70’s, now it looks like a fringe group of maniacs have done it again. Christine O’Donnell scored the nomination for Senate in Delaware, but the biggest surprise was how a Teabagger got the Republican nomination for Governor in New York no less, over the moderate Rick Lazio (is it me, or does he look like he is wearing "old guy" make-up?). Carl Paladino gave a victory speech that reminded me of a drunk guy at a wedding trying to sing with the band. Now, those of us who do not live in a mass delusion need not worry. As a matter of fact, if played correctly, this could be a moment of great opportunity. Ultimately, crazy people are unelectable, and so far their only platform is “the big black president wants to take away our guns and Bibles.” Not even stupid people will stand by that.
Now, I'm happy to say that this Christine O’Donnell doesn’t disappoint; she brings the crazy with a misguided passion equal to that of Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin. I’ll leave you with just one gem from an appearance on CNN a few years ago: “Now too many people are blindly accepting evolution as a fact. But when you get down to the hard evidence, it’s merely a theory.” Really? So is Relativity, but it has yet to fail. That’s like saying too many people are blindly accepting the Earth revolving around the Sun as a fact. Seriously, is there really any other reason why Teabaggers even exist other than the crippling fear that strangle-holds the ignorant?

So I finally broke the battered housewife syndrome of watching the lamefest that is the MTV Video Music Awards. I watched football and Entourage instead. But I did hear about that raw meat dress that Lady GaGa was wearing. A desperate plea for attention by someone who obviously hates their parents. Wanna get my attention, how about sitting this idiot in a live shark tank while wearing that stupid dress? Now, THAT would have been worth watching!

SPORTS

Week 1 of the NFL season is in the books. I know this because I had considerable difficulty getting up Monday morning, and some of my brothers in arms didn't even make it out of bed. Now everyone knows that I’m a huge poser when it comes to football because even though I’m a Cowboys fan, I still root for both New York teams, and the Giants share the division with the Cowboys. I wish the Giants could have also shared some of their heart and brains. As the G-men won their opener, the Cowboys lost, not to the Washington Redskins, but to a series of stupid mistakes, including a holding call on the last play of the game that might have gotten them the win. 2 minutes with the game on the line is what football is all about, and Tony Romo was good until that last play. But it’s responding to pressure that wins or loses games.

OK why is this Derek Jeter story so important? I guess sainthood in New York for this guy might have to wait a few minutes. What is Derek Jeter's job? To get on base, it's the umpires job to officialte the game, it's Joe Madden's job to fight for his team. Everyone here did their job. Jeter didn't tell himself to take a base, Jeter didn't call the trainer out to check on him. All Jeter did was move away from a ball coming inside. Incidentally, pitchers have been beaning his wrists inside for years, so I don't mind him getting one back. Once again as I said about Reggie Bush (who, after forfeiting the Heisman trophy, I will now refer to as the Richard Nixon of Football), a player wants to play. Did he give an Oscar-worthy performance? Sure, but who doesn't in that situation? You know, had this been Alex Rodriguez they would be calling for his $27 million a year head!

THIS WEEK’S REASON WHY TERRORISTS WANNA KILL US

And even before the J-E-T-S JetJetsJets! Lost on Monday night, they were already causing a ruckus. There was a woman reporter named Inez Sainz at practice on Saturday looking to get an interview with Mark Sanchez, when some of the players began allgededly harassing her with catcalls and throwing the ball in her direction (throwing the ball in her direction?). According to her she didn’t even notice until she got into the locker room where she said she felt “uncomfortable.” I wonder how uncomfortable Serena Williams would be if I went into her locker room looking to get an interview as she comes out of the shower? Until I can do that, will we ever truly be equal? (Hey I can dream, can’t I?)
5 days of practice is hard enough, now after this incident that she didn't even report, everyone has to go through some type of league mandated “sensitivity” training? What about the guys that didn’t even notice this woman? Do they have to go too? Jets brass has chimed in that they don’t want anyone around them to feel uncomfortable, and that’s how it should be, but how courageous of this woman, who had been so traumatized by the whole event, to still show up at the game Monday night. It must have been so hard to sit through. We should give her a medal for still being able to be on the sidelines where the most expensive seats go for $700.00 after all she has been through, not to mention finding the inner strength to show up at every morning talk show this week.

3 comments:

  1. - As I said on my own blog, it may be too early for schadenfreude but the GOP running unelectable Tea Bag loons in Nov makes me smile.

    - I guess PETA did not take the bait regarding Lady GaGa's Beatles-influenced costume. (I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt that she even knows of the Beatles' reference.)

    - You read my mind re: the reaction to A-Rod had he performed Jeter's acting. Got nuthin' to add to that.

    - The Sainz Fiasco: She complained; the Jets apologized. That's where it should've ended. But everyone and their mother had to chime in for some reason, and Sainz herself fanned the flames by appearing on every show that would have her. So she milked the publicity big time. Ugh. Also, wearing painted-on jeans to a locker room does not earn you a dose of harassment but it shows poor judgment. (Btw, I read today that male reporters are allowed into WNBA clubhouses/locker rooms.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If that last part is true, I'm going to quit my life in NY to work for the LA Sparks just to catch a glimpse of Candice Parker in the shower. If I had that job I would SO set a record for earliest firing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Third paragraph:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/15/AR2010091506548_2.html

    ReplyDelete